Burlington Headquarters Building (1879)
Now commonly referred to as the Burlington Building, this structure was built as the local headquarters for the Burlington Northern and then later the Chicago Burlington and Quincy Railrod. Originally designed by Alfred. R. Dufrene in 1879 as a three-story building the structure features a limestone trim and an ornamental cornice, had fireproof vaults on each floor and each office was finished with oiled southern pine. Several offices included fireplaces.
In 1886 a fourth floor was added and in 1899 architect Thomas Kimball extensively remodeled the building to resemble the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad Co. building in Chicago. He added an interior atrium skylit court with galleries and staircases of cast iron and oak. Burlington Railroad occupied the building until 1966 and in 1892 was renovated for use as offices.