Bank of Florence (1856)
In 1853 the Davenport IA firm Cooke, Sargent, and Parker heard that land west of the Missouri River was going to become territory and opened for settlement, so they secured a plot of land and ordered the most important bank element - the vault. Construction of the bank started in 1855 upon the arrival of the walk-in vault from Pennsylvania. They made a slab of brick 3 foot thick and 3 foot siding and roofing, afterwards the rest of the two storied building was constructed. The bank received its charter and opened its doors for business on January 18, 1856. The second floor of the bank was used as the residence of the manager, James Monroe Parker.
The next year saw the Panic of 1857 and the bank failed and remained vacant until it was started again in 1890. The Florence Telephone Company turned part of the second floor into offices in 1906. Surviving the great depression of 1929 the bank went out of business in 1936. Afterwards it was used as a grocery store, laundry and dry cleaners, and an apartment building.