In 1854 the newly appointed Florence city council voted to build a Fire Station, Council Hall and a Jail. Not wanting to put this new city in debt they built 'temporary' buildings made of wood on State and 4th Street (now 29th Street). The Firehouse was simply a large garage that could accomodate two horses and the fire rig - a horse drawn water tank and a hose. In 1888 the building was considered too small when they purchased a larger horse drawn rig , 'longer and better quality hoses, new axes, and a shiny brass bell.' This time the new station just north of the City Hall was built of brick. The volunteers were called Fire Hose Co #1. In 1917 Omaha annexed Florence and the fire department was absorbed by the city. Considered too much need of repair they abandonded this station and it was used as a storage garage until 1953 when the city sold the site to the Christenson Well Co. In 1998 the Florence Historical Foundation purchased the building.