Trinity Cathedral (1883)
Trinity Episcopal Cathedral is Omaha's oldest church building still in use. The Parish was organized in 1856 and in 1859 an original church was built at 9th and Farnam Streets in Omaha on lots donated by Omaha's first Mayor, Jesse Lowe. The congregation relocated to a new building at the present site in 1867. Work on the current church structure began in 1880 and was concluded in three years. H. G. Harrison of New York City designed the building. Portions of Harrison's Cathedral plans were never completed (including a spire and Chapter House) because the congregation began diverting money to local mission work. Charter members of the Cathedral included Thomas B. Cuming, first territorial governor of Nebraska. J. Sterling Morton of Nebraska City, father of Arbor Day.
The Cathedral was built in cruciform design with blue Illinois limestone, contains 41 stained glass windows, thirteen of which depicting Christ and the Apostles surround the apse.